Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Black Nazarene or Santo Intiero of Capalonga, Camarines Norte

Camarines Norte Attractions

The Philippines is one of the most religious countries in the world. It has embraced Christianity since the invasion of the Spaniards, whom taught the locals to follow the teachings of the Holy Bible. This explains the similarities of the belief of Spaniards and Filipinos. One of the most criticized practices of Catholic believers is their loyalty to wooden idols. To us, these are symbols of our belief and we are paying respect not to the idols but to what they symbolize. This practice is even observed in provinces, like ours.
Camarines Norte Travel Guide In my younger years, I had the fortune to work for Procter &  Gamble's Bicol distributor, Accelerated Distribution Inc. (ADI). This job allowed me to travel the entire administrative area of Bicol region. One of the destinations I loved so much to visit was Camarines Norte. It is the last province of Region V bordering Region IV's Quezon province. The province was known for its gold and silver mines, beautiful white and black beaches, and alluring islands. Aside those natural resources, the province is also known to have a miraculous replica of the Santo Intiero or the Black Nazarene.  

Black Nazarine Camarines Norte
 Curiosity got the best of me so I braved the verdant and still uber underdeveloped town of Capalonga, one of Camarines Norte's farthest towns. many believed that this town is infested with rebels but young that I was, the intrigue got the better of me. I do not know if it was loyalty to my job or curiosity or just for the fun of another adventure that I jumped in one of our company's branch vans to work with the team that visits the town once a month.

Above is a picture of our team lighting candles, asking for miracles and praying for safety. At the right is a picture of the cross with Jesus Christ already pinned on it. Below is a picture of me and the nearby beach that is more used as a port to fishermen than swimming or frolicking the beach.
Capalonga Black Nazarene Beach