Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mayon Volcano: What It's Like to Live Near the Famous Perfect Coned Mountain



Albay Travel



The Tourism Office of Region V says that a noticeably huge increase in tourist traffic in the province. It seems that everyone is eager to see the Mount Mayon up close and personal. But how does one live with this beauty, as well as the danger it poses when it erupts? Well, I should know because I live kilometers away from the danger zone. I tell you, it’s not that fun. People losing their belongings and worst lives, students making up for disrupted school schedules, failing economy as agricultural lands are washed out—I’ve seen them all and fortunately, or rather unfortunately, I’ve captured some of the dramas that simultaneously occur with every eruption of the picturesque Mount Mayon.   

The picture above is probably one of my very first captured photos during my teens. The others have been damaged by other storms that hit our historic town, Daraga. Though locals usually think of the danger when they see these photos, tourists spend on them as souvenir. They do come by too just to witness the raging lava spill out of the volcano’s crater. I must admit though that watching this occurrence is really spectacular, especially at night when one could see the fiery liquid rolling down the mountain.  

To adventurous travelers then, stay safe if you choose to travel, visit, shoot, or tour around the province. Make sure to check with the authorities on the status of the destinations here ie Mayon Volcano before going on a trek or climbing activities. J